Kombucha Love Stories

What’s yours?

For some of us, it was love at first sip, for others…perhaps it took a bit longer to come around. Whatever it is, I want to hear it. I’ve started by adding mine for inspiration.

I hated Kombucha. The vinegary beverage made me want to gag and the thought of accidentally slurping down a Scoby…yeah.

So when my cousin Bren told me about his dream for a Kombucha flavoring business I was skeptical.

However, I needed a job and I loved spending time with my cousin.

For a while I felt like a bit of a fraud. I was talking with people all day long about Kombucha, its tastiness, and benefits for your health, when I couldn’t stand the stuff myself.

Eventually I could avoid it no longer. Tasting our Kombucha was necessary if I was going to be in the business. So, what happened next?

Are you on the edge of your seat…

I closed my eyes, considered plugging my nose (but refrained) and was pleasantly surprised.

I wouldn’t say it was love at first sip, but like any faithful half-a-century-long marriage, my love grew with time. And now I am proud to announce that I am a Kombucha lover.

So what changed? Well my heart obviously, but more seriously the flavor. When I was a self proclaimed boocha hater it was mostly because I couldn’t find any flavors I liked. When I tried Kombucha again (and sparks began to fly) it was because of one of the Brewch flavors, Pearesto. It was light and subtly sweet, but sooooo refreshing.

I’m a big fan of love stories so here is mine. Around 2012 I used to love hanging out on Paleo food blogs. It was my thang. A few of the bloggers posted about kombucha but I didn’t read the post because I didn’t know what It was. A couple months later I listened to that song “Whole Foods Parking Lot” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UFc1pr2yUU and the guy says I’ve been on edge since they took kombucha off the shelf.
So then I decided to find out what it was. Bubbly probiotic drink. I started to crave it immediately. Strange because that’s never happened. About a day later I was in my local grocery store (not a whole foods) and there is was in the cold case. I’m pretty sure the sky opened up and rays of sunshine came in while angels were singing in the background. But I can’t prove this. I bought a bottle, got home, poured half a glass and took a sip. Holly %$^& this stuff is good. Finished the glass, drank the rest of the bottle and got back in the car to get more.
Kombucha wasn’t as popular then. I looked around everywhere possible for about a month looking for a SCOBY before I finally came across growing your own. I haven’t looked back since.