What is the Ultimate Kombucha Brewing Vessel?

The best vessel, IMHO is one that is a) glass b) thick enough to pour hot tea without cracking c) has a wide mouth for SCOBY surface. There is a jar at Walmart that meets these criteria. What is your kombucha vessel like?

I have used about a dozen different shapes and sizes of brewing vessels. Here is my analysis of some:

Type Material Source Notes
5 Gallon Bucket FDA Plastic Local Homebrew Store Made for beer ferment. Not ideal for kombucha acids.
2 Gal Continuous Glass Target Thin glass, must cool water before filling.
1 Gal Pickle Jar Glass Recycling Narow Top, reduced SCOBY surface
2 Gal Pickle Jar Glass Recycling Narow Top, reduced SCOBY surface
1 Gal Wide Mouth Glass Walmart Thick glass, wide top.
2 Gal Wide Mouth Glass Walmart Large, thick glass, wide top.
1.5 Gal Continuous Glass Target Thin glass, must cool water before filling. Narrow top

All of the points you hit on I agree with. Glass is ideal as I rarely trust plastics with anything, and a largeĀ® vessel is great for bigger batches as well as a larger top for thicc pellicles.

Also, I guess it would include a very sturdy non-corrosive spigot to allow for CB and maybe tinted glass to protect against UV if/when 'boochers have them out for a short while?

Interesting note about tinted glass. A lot of what I have used were originally purposed for cookies or beverage and they want you to see inside, but if we could get the same vessels in amber, that would be really good to make happier booch, Of course you can just put your booch in the closet or pantry, but for kitchen counter top kombucha brewers, an amber glass would be ideal.